Thursday, March 17, 2011

Running

Over the last two years I have taken up running as a way to get exercise without having to go to the gym.  It seemed easier to step outside and just go running rather than driving to the gym, doing some cardio followed by some sort of weight training, and then drive back home.  Some how I have made it possible to look at running in a lazy way!  The truth is that I have never been much of a runner (in the long distance sense anyway) and still hate doing it to this day.  But I recently discovered that I also love running.  It's that first 1.5-2 miles that I really hate.  Your body is getting used to doing this god forsaken exercise, and your breathing hard, hitting the pavement, trying to get into a groove, and its just miserable!  But then something funny happens.  You see something that takes your mind off of it for a second, or you hear a song you like and the next thing you know you're in a groove.  Your feet start hitting a tempo, you aren't breathing as hard, and you even discover that you can pace a little faster without exhausting yourself.  It's then that I love running, because at that moment you know you can hit your goal, and you even start thinking of trying to go beyond it.

I recently registered to run the Marine Corps Marathon with my friend Rhyan.  It is run on October 30, 2011 which gives me seven months or so to train for it.  It is a very beginner friendly marathon (whatever the hell that means) and as long as I stay motivated I think I should have no problems building up my miles in order to be ready to do it.  Along the way I plan to do as many races as I can, from 5K to half marathons, and I plan on trying to blog about all my running endeavors.  

1 comment:

  1. I don't think there is any such thing as a beginner-friendly marathon! My lord, it's 26+ miles!

    ReplyDelete