Monday, March 21, 2011

First 8 Mile Run!

Last week was less than ideal for me in the mileage standpoint.  I only ended up running 13 miles throughout the week (my running week starts sunday) and while all three were really positive runs, it just wasn't even close to the 20 or so miles I wanted to do.  That being said, Rhyan and I decided to start this week off right with our first 8 mile run.  Previously my farthest run has been 6 miles so this was going to be record setting for me.  The last three times I ran 5 miles or so I got stronger the farther I went, so I really didn't think doing 8 would be all that bad.  I was wrong.

We started by parking at Roosevelt island and running from there across the key bridge into Georgetown and meandered through shoppers along M Street down to Pennsylvania ave.  Both Rhyan and I were feeling pretty strong as we made our way down to the mall and past the Washington Monument.  I think through the first 4 miles our pace was under 9:00 miles, and our fastest mile of the day was our 2nd at 8:20.  We got to the Capital building and turned back around and decided we would try to go past the Jefferson Memorial.  We figured this would add 1.5 to 2 miles to the run, but what the hell, we both were feeling pretty good.  Its amazing how quickly that can change!

As we made our way across the George Mason Memorial bridge back into VA, my left hip started to get a little sore.  Nothing serious, until we crossed the bridge and got on the Mt. Vernon trail along the potomac.  It was about at the 7.5 mile mark that I realized how mentally tough running a half marathon is going to be, let alone a full marathon.  None of the pains I was experiencing individually were bad enough to stop me, but with all of them going at once it was slowing me down to a shuffle.  It was so laborious just to put one foot in front of the other, and all I could think about was how close to the car we were.  But alas, I gave in after 8.59 miles and just had to walk.  I didn't want to put myself out for a long period of time, and I want to get another 12 miles done this week.

I'm so sore right now.  My gluts, my calves, my feet.  I wanted to get 2-3 miles in today just to try and loosen up but I don't see that happening.  tomorrow maybe, but not today.

No comments:

Post a Comment