Thursday, March 24, 2011

New PR for the 5K!

I just got back from a four mile run around the neighborhood and I actually set a new personal record for 5K.  27:06 was the time and I averaged 8:46 a mile.  Pretty good considering I got stuck at a couple of lights, and had to wait for a truck to back up into the FSI complex.  Earlier this week I started reading Danny Dreyer's book ChiRunning.  I'm only 3.5 chapters in, but I did try and focus on a couple things he has talked about.  First I tried to use gravity to my advantage by keeping my body straight but leaning forward so that my foot strikes occur under my center.  Second I tried to keep my cadence the same, and only alter my pace through the size of my stride.  This was harder to grasp and I hope he has some good exercises to try and accomplish this.

My calves are still pretty tight, so if any of the three of you out there reading this blog have any good suggestions about loosening them up or stretching them I would love to hear it.  I am going to try and get another 3-4 miles in tomorrow before Rhyan and I do a longer run on sunday.  Hopefully I'll feel pretty loose by tomorrow morning.

2 comments: